A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Comprehensive Examination of including diagnostic x-rays (if required). These can help in the early detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
If it’s been a while since you checked in, contact our friendly team to arrange a consultation.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus or tartar (which is hardened plaque). Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque, the sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. Plaque is a developing colony of bacteria which produces toxins which can, if untreated, lead to periodontal disease.
To have your teeth professionally cleaned and your smile revitalised, contact our team for a consultation.
Oral Cancer Detection
*Facts you need to know:
- Oral Cancer has almost three times the number of deaths than Cervical Cancer.
- The greatest increase in Oral Cancer is in the under 40 age bracket.
- Early diagnosis is vital. By the time you can see a change it can be in its advanced stages.
- Worldwide over 640,000 new cases of Oral Cancer are found each year.
- Experts recommend annual screening for all adults.
What is Council Avenue Dental doing about it?
We have responded to these frightening facts by investing in the VelScope System. This device helps us to detect changes in oral mucosa early, enabling our patients to obtain the best possible treatment.
This preventive service will be offered to you at your next Hygiene visit and will cost $49. This is claimable from your private health fund and is a small investment to help ensure your long-term health and vitality.
*Reference from the Oral Cancer Foundation, Oral Cancer Facts, accessed July 2011